Your updated and ultimate list to add some edgy style to your wardrobe. Discover the 45 items every edgy, rocker-chic girl should have in her closet, plus 55+ outfit combinations.
The Ultimate Boho Rocker List 40 + Fashion Ideas
This week we are going to be looking at a wardrobe essentials list with a style that we here find current, trending, fresh, and makes a statement. Today's post is featuring a style that is near and dear to my heart.
Want to add some rock chic edge to your wardrobe and fashion. This is a look that is hot, badass, sexy, and a lot of fun. Moving forward into 2016 and 2017 the days are long gone of cheap generic baggy clothes as most of these looks can be found for cheap with a high quality look. With today's looks fashionistas can mix and match rock-and-roll aesthetic mixes of fresh faces with dramatic features. It is almost a mash up of skin-tight pants, ankle boots with oversized tees and jackets.
There are some favorite modern rocker fashion idols out there doing these looks very well. Adorned with leather, spikes, and studs yet softening it all up with stylish makeup and hair that is not done in overblown proportions. You can even include some retro elements into the look and take 80's examples of Madonna and her famous jewelry to 1920's and 30s pin-up girls and their hair. Mixing street chic staples with one or two inspiring edgy pieces is what we are achieving here.
We have compiled a top 40 list of the must have edgy rocker chic items every gal should own. These items will give tons of combinations for outfits that will keep you in rock style for a long long time.
So without further ado let's start with the list !
We shall start with tops. What are the top tops a gal should have? Well definitely some bands tees of course they go with nearly everything and give a little statement of who you are and your taste.
The band tees where to buy
Whatever your preference may be from heavy metal, pop, R&B, or classic rock, every wardrobe should have an arsenal of some great band tees. Pick your favorite band and then rock that tee. These are a few of our favorites we have been rocking for years. Pair it with some skinny jeans, a moto jacket or vest and some some booties studded heels or sneaker wedges depending on your destination of choice.
- For a fast and easy outfit that is perfect for a classy rocker wear your concert tee with a pair of black skinny jeans, some sneakers with a cool canvas print, and any military-inspired utility jacket if weather permits.
- If you are going out for a night on the town, skinnies in black always look great paired with ankle boots that are sky-high. Complete the look with some cool eye makeup that is a bit smoky and finish with an easy ponytail and you could be set.
- A white band tee always pairs with black skinny jeans and a leather jacket. A Timeless punk rocker look that goes with any of your favorite amazing pair of boots and a boyfriend blazer.
This first tee from left to right:
Vintage or original, but your concert t-shirt are the go to staple for girls who are aiming for a rock-and-roll style. What is so awesome is these are plentiful everywhere you go with so many style selections. Everywhere from Forever21 to Hot Topic and even Target has a wide variety.
- The summer cooler alternative to the band tee is the band tank just as rocker and edgy just some more ventilation for your underarms. Pair with a moto vest or a plaid shirt ties at your hips or a cute rocker skirt like the faux leather fringe mini for a fun flirty edgy look.
- Any concert tee can be worn in the summer with a skirt and fished with high-heeled studded boots.
- Balance is always key if your shirt is a bit oversized and not well fitting go back to your black leggings or skinnies and a blazer with a boyfriend cardigan.
- Here are some of our top three band tank choices:
The Body Suit
The body suit! The most sexy way to rock out for sure. Also a super easy way to go with just throwing s on with some cutoffs or skinny jeans or leggings and you are good to go you can a a moto vest or jacket and some accessories.
- Tuck it straight into a pair of blue jeans. Everybody loves one of the most icon staples of everyday relaxing fashion with your favorite denim.
- Love the look and feeling bold? Wanting to make a statement then wear a pair of thigh high boots with some studs and be ready for the gazes and long lasting stares.
The Skinny Jean
Now the skinny jean a must have to complete your look. You should have at least one pair of destroyed skinny jean denim and one solid dark wash to dress up a black and a coated pair. This will give your rocker chic outfit options for days. A white pair is also a great idea to have in there too for the summer.
- An easy flowing off the shoulder blouse gives the chic to the rocker portion of this. You can give your outfit the edge it needs while still needing to look just a little more upscale.
- Rips, tears, shreds, and bears oh my! Ok maybe not the bears but sometimes the more the better. Destroyed skinny jeans give the I don't care what I wear and will look good in it no matter what attitude the proper adjustment
- White skinny jeans work well in the summer especially with black ankle boots or flats. A simple tear in the knee and a matching belt is all that is needed. Easy with a tank.
Here are the ones we have picked out from left to right.
The Boyfriend Jean
No not the jeans your boyfriend bought you. It's more like the fit you borrowed from your boyfriend. They are meant to be a bit looser fitting and slouchy if you will. You still can dress in comfort and style with some distressing on them. Paired up with a body suit and some heeled ankle booties your favorite moto jacket and you are ready to rock the night away, in comfort. We picked these 3 we love from American Eagle.
- The first pair we picked are destroyed in a light denim wash because we love the contrast of pairing it with a black body suit and leather moto.
- Darker in blue and patchworked add a little more flair and edgy fashion statement.
- Try and have a bit of symmetry and balance out the look. A little tummy showing reveals just enough if your jeans are rolled up you want to reveal just a little more.
The Disco Pant
Are you ready to rock disco style. Get your party rocker on with these. Olivia Newton john became the ultimate bad rocker girl with a pair of these in one of our favorite 50's fashion movies Greece and so can you. Nothing says bad ass edgy chic like skin tight black pants. American apparel has done these right and if you're on a budget check out Poshmark for a used cheaper alternative.
These go great with a leather moto white tee or crop. Pair with some booties or heels and prepared to stand out in all your edgy rocker chic girl glory. Another example that comes to mind is Traci Lords as mega blonde hottie Wanda Woodward in Johnny Depp's Cry Baby. She killed it in these and made all the boys come to the yard.
- Disco style pants go great for nights out with the girls at clubs. Nothing like a tight fitting pair says buy me a drink like these!
- For that second or third date when you really want to sexy things up, especially if dancing might be in order.
The Power of the Leather Legging
The all mighty faux leather legging woot woot ! Chic, has an edge, hot as all hell, and animal friendly too. Wear these with a bootie or a studded heel a white v neck tee. Simple classic and sexy. The best option for a night out on the town. Nothing commands presence and attention like a perfect fitting pair. Powerful for certain and shows you mean business. It really is the ultimate leggings upgrade.
- Smoothy, silky, and like liquid you might sacrifice a bit of comfort for style here. A white sheer top is perfect
- Heels with studs, booties with tassels, and classic heels all work in harmony.
- Since you have no distressing or features on the pants themselves its time to go a bit wild with the rest of your outfit. Accessories are going to be a must. I prefer a lot of bracelets and layering of necklaces.
Here are some of our top 3 picks for some fabulous leather leggings:
The Rocker Cut off Short
Vintage style shredded denim shorts are what no rocker girl's wardrobe should be missing. In the right climate they are good from spring all the way to fall. How could you be complete without a pair of awesome cut offs? They look rocktrific with some ankle heeled booties and and a band tee. A summertime must. You can even pick some up cheap at places like Buffalo Exchange and do it yourself with the shreds.
- Enjoy a laid-back cute look with a pair of shredded denim shorts some canvas shoes and an oversized flannel shirt
- Opaque black tights can be paired with these while wearing studded boots, a tee, and finished off with a utility jacket.
- Do not forget about the high-waisted varieties. Nothing like a concert tee tucked into these will make you look more fantastic. Tussle your hair, throw on some combat boots and use a darker lip color for added dramatic effect.
These our are top three picks our favorite being the One Teaspoon with the black fringe oolala. They are an exciting brand out of Australia that specializes in just these types of things. You know the drill click it to find out more about the look and style.
The Rocker Ankle Bootie
Your most powerful weapon in your fashion arsenal to get that rocker edgy, your shoes. All hail the ankle bootie, they go with dresses, shorts, and jeans a very versatile shoe every rocker girl must have. Nowadays we have so many upgraded versions to choose from. From what was once plain and boring are now a smaller compact easier to wear style of their much bigger versions. You can pack in quite a bit of attitude depending on the pair you choose as long and you will find comfort all day long. Some really fashionable pairs might be hard to track down as they are just starting to catch on like wildfire.
- Be sure to try them out with a skater shirt, lace blouse, or boho maxi dress.
- The bolder style of these will really contrast well against something a little softer and more feminine be sure to mix, match, and experiment with a hard vs. soft look if you go for a heavier pair.
Our top picks are :
The Rocker Heel
Another necessity to is some walk the walk in some eye catching studded heels, sandal or closed toe will do. Shoes now have their own personality and we want to go fierce with our look here. Some well placed studs and spikes really bring authority and confidence to any outfit you match them with. You probably will not be winning any sprints here, but the marathon is yours for the taking. Here are some we are dying for.
- A classic style heel with a two tone silver spike must be matched with appropriate jewelry. Silver with silver, gold with gold.
- If you are going to have open toes please ladies make sure those piggies are trimmed, polished, and painted. And no funky colors here, remember to keep it together and cohesive.
- Going with an all black heel with all black spikes is much easier to pair and match with. Subtle yet loud I always get a double take when wearing these out and tons of compliments. They are a great conversation starter without a doubt.
For The Sporty Rocker Day
In a sporty mood and not feeling the bootie or heel have no fear for the sneaker wedge is here to save you fashion delay. It is oh so comfortable and gives some edge and height if you suffer vertically like most of us do. Most of these sporty sneaker wedges carry an attitude with them which is why we chose them for our blog here.
- Laces, Zippers, and Buckles. You do not need much more than this. Your shoes supply the accessories for you
- Number two here is such a striking and unique pair of wedges with an open toe. You will without a doubt stand out from the flock with these.
- If you want a big and bold sneaker wedge go with these. A manly man's buckle and chain will have you prepared for any street walking that outlines the rest of your adventure.
We are so in love with these wedge sneakers.
Rock The Plaid
The 90's will never die long live the plaid flannel top. Tie it around your waist with your cutoffs or your little black dress to your skinny jeans and leggings. Gwen Stefani pulled this look off to perfection with the stylish video hollaback girl. It is a great grab and go piece to have in your closet and a must for a rocker style. Long live the 90s in all its grunge glory. Glam it up with some studded ankle boots and some edgy accessories. Second hand used vintage stores always has a plethora of plaid to choose from as well as your dad or grandpas closet. Resurrect your inner Kurt Cobain and do him justice.
- The heavy look and feel to this apparel is better suited for a winter time look. A knit beanie accents your head as a perfect complimentary piece.
- This is definitely one of our all-time favorite cozy outfits. Perfect for a ski trip, or a roll around the rug by the fire.
- Dark make-up and lipstick can give you a much harder edge, so be careful when applying your brushstrokes. You can see the concert tee's pair well with the flannel shirts but it is easy to go a bit too dark and hard here.
The Moto Jacket
Your ultimate weapon in pulling off the rocker chic fashion style is the Moto Jacket. Pair it with everything! And we mean everything you can not go wrong with this no matter what. It will be your best wardrobe investment it will never go out of style. Buy a real or faux leather it's up to you. Here are some we absolutely love.
- Layered and hanging jewelry and necklaces frame your chest well. Do not be afraid to let them hang a little longer than usual. Some bohemian charms and gems just might get the job done.
- Not all jackets come in just black! Explore and expand your fashion with colors but try and stick with the more neutral variety. You do not want too many colors going on here. We are inspired from the 1990's but not trying to look like we never stepped out of that decade.
The Moto Vest
Much like it's fuller and sleeved bigger brother the jacket, going with a vest is a perfect option for warmer days. If you can not rock the moto jacket due to mother nature and her restrictions at times then the moto vest will be your perfect fit. They come in all different fabrics and we absolutely adore the denim and the faux leather of course. Check out these three top finds we found:
- You do not have to ride a motorcycle to sport the moto vest, but some knowledge may be helpful if you are going to venture into that category. But do not be intimidated. This vest was paired with a long sleeve shirt which seems like an oxymoron but happens to work here.
- The second on the list of these is a very unique offering that is all denim and closed off in the front. You wanted different and stand out fashion right? Here it is just waiting for you.
- Notice the theme going on here, a band or concert tee shirt compliments the vest. We like to call it 'completing the look.' If you're going all in, push your chips on the table and roll with it.
Having some great dresses in your fashion arsenal is a good idea. A basic black tee shirt shift dress which you can pair with wedge sneaker or your booties for some casual days. A black maxi that you can dress up or down. A leather dress faux or real leather for going out and a studded going out dress. All four of these will give you a well round full rocker wardrob that will aid you in being set for whatever occasion may arise. Our top finds are as follows:
- Dresses are doing so much more now with glam patterns without looking cheesy. We are not all about the price tag, but you do get what you pay for in this category. Spending the extra twenty bucks can really make you look like an extra million. We love thrifty and cheap, but do not always want to look it.
- The long cool woman in a black dress ! Ha got in a great 70's Hollies music reference there. Great song check it out, but anyways the long black dress is great for some even longer slits going up and down in the right places.
- Sometimes all you need is a dress. The last one here speaks volumes of awesome. Notice there are no cluttering accessories or apparel junking it up. This dress does enough to stand on it's own and kicks the rear of all lesser dresses. Sometimes less is more, and this is just right.
Rocker Chic Makeup
Stunning makeup with red lip and smoky eyes are key to looking rock star chic. Let out your inner rocker but do not look as if you are trying too hard. As much as we loath Courtney Love we do like her mascara, eyeliner, and makeup at times. Just remember to keep the rest of your pretty palette on the neutral side. There are special occasions for deeper shades of lipstick for dramatic moments, just make sure it's not everyday, ok?
- Hard Candy has a great black eyeliner that has a cult following and is a best seller. Layering on gray and brown tones create eyes that can be sexy for a hot date night out on the town.
- We do draw some great inspiration from retro rockabilly pin-up girls. There is just something about those bad girls next door we love and their eye liners.
- Sephora. Does anything else need to be said?
Our top picks for a matt red lipstick, black eyeliner and smokey eye shadow kit.
Having some good skirt options is a great to have in the old closet. No two skirts fit or are made the same. But we do have a preference for black, so we can color it up a little bit with a funner top. The skirt does not need to be the stand out star, but should give you the shape and confidence you need. You can pair them with a body suit or a plain white to for a casual easy look. Here are three different styles we love:
- An easy side zipper gives you a great angle and off balance symmetry that says I have some edge.
- Who does not love fringe? Hands anyone? Did not think so. This fringe mini is layered and dangles with boho rocker goodness. If I die I swear bury me in this please and I will look amazing up in Valhalla chilling next to Thor in my badass sexy apparel there.
- A pencil style skirt can say classy and hottie all at the same time. We love the cropped mid stomach showing long sleeved pairing.
Basic Plain White or Black Tee
These are the rocker basic must haves. Think of it as if you were building a house, this would be your framework. You do not start with the windows, but instead the foundation and most likely you may already have them. Your basic white and black tee shirts and tank tops. You can use them to layer or just put your moto vest or jacket over and you are ready to roll out. They go with any bottom and you can mix and match with any of your outfits giving you a variety. We like the slouchy tee shirts they pair great with leggings skirts and skinny jeans and shorts.
- A long v-neck really shows off your neckline and collar bone. Since the shirt is so plain a leather cuff goes from you were in a hurry to you planned this look.
- Jewelry and accessories are a must to give your outfit direction. When you start out so vanilla, you have to mix in some other flavors.
Your Most Epic Purse
Nothing like a unique purse ! Much like King Arthur had Excalibur you shall wield your fashion slayer. Onto the bags yes and finally. You can go with a handmade purse to be really unique and individual or stick with one of the four basic main styles. You should have would be a tote, oversized over the shoulder, small crossbody and the clutch. Find some with some rock chic edge as in spikes studs you name it, leather is very sturdy as long as you do not get it wet and lasts a lifetime so it is a solid investment for your wardrobe. Here our some of our handmade bag ideas for you to sport some fresh new styles and looks with.
- Big bold and making a statement for sure with this oversized leather bag. Being one of a kind you are sure to never see anything that compares. It has a row of studs along the outside for a strong powerful piece
- The next entry we have here is definitely rock and roll all the way but does have a little boho flair with fringe hanging off of the side. Silver and black are not just for the Raiders but make excellent complimentary colors for an evening at dinner or a concert.
- All wild and no mild with our third contestant. This all natural leather purse was made from scrap remnants and features multiple tiered layering for texture and effect. A simple easy flap allows access to your goods while a long chain keeps you comfortable in your travels.
- If a stylish clutch is more to your liking break out of the mold and go with something different. The Odd Portrait custom leather hand clutch commands a statement for its size, but still retains an ease of use and function that is rivaled to none.
Edgy Accessories and Jewelry
You must accessorize your look. Continuing with our overall theme we have here some edgy jewelry to give you some intentional flair. What good is it if you paint the walls but forget to hang the drapes! This is always my favorite area to stylize as the accessories let you really fine tune and make a custom and unique look truly one of a kind and your own. I think of it like hot rod flames on a nice 1960's Roadrunner or Chevelle. But we are not here to talk about cars, so back to my love of accessories especially rock n roll leather ones, here are some of our top picks for five rocker accessories every modern urban gal should have on hand.
- We all have signature looks, or what we may be well known for, but time to switch that up and sport a choker which are already hot and back in style from the 90's. Easy, black, and adorning your favorite stone, gem, charm, or attention grabbing piece.
- Leather wrap bracelets with studs and spikes are perfect and a little more discreet. I love wearing multiple at a time personally but to each their own.
- The leather scarf is just plain awesome. I really wish you could get away with wearing these in the summertime because I would sport one year round. It is perfect for upscaling an otherwise ordinary outfit. A giant oversized necklace made out of real or fake leather is usually all you need to make your statement. Plus they keep you somewhat warm and safe from the elements.
- Earrings come in many shape and styles and these little punk rock fashion accessories will give you that 80's vibe you may need. This punk earring screams I am different. After all some of the best punk and rock music and influences did come from the earlier part of that decade. Give it some homage, just an updated styling.
Rock Star Sunglasses
Every good rock n roll gal needs some sunglasses. Whether you were up all night rocking out at a concert, waking up hungover looking for orange juice, or just hanging out with friends you need some edgy eye protection. These shades will come in great for your next outdoor summer music festival and hide the black bags under your eyes.
- We found these awesome ones with black roses and spikes all around and at killer steal of a deal $27 The Roses & Spiked Sunglasses.
- Next up some designer inspired ones hmm guess that might mean knock off oh well if you are in college you may need to be on a budget so we will toss these in Square Studded Sunglasses at a whooping $10.
- We can not do sunglasses without tossing in some good old fashioned Ray-Bans check out these Ray-Ban Aviators at $150. Classic and timeless.
- Last but in no way least some hearty shape goodness Studded Heart Sunglasses at $32. Keep cool and shaded and party on or go grab a bloody mary and nurse that hangover.
Little Grunge Dress
The inner 90s are channeling deep within you for this a little grunge babydoll 90s inspired dress style. Pair any of these with some studded ankle booties and toss on a moto and head out.
We found all of these adorable dresses on Dolls Kill. We picked an array of styles from a cute spaghetti strap plaid dress that has a school girl gone bad vibe every 90s black dress with a floral red print that looks like it came straight out of the movie 10 Things I hate About You. The one with Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger yup that one. I want you to want me.
- First up a simple plaid baby doll grunge dress, simple and to the point.
- Black and red with a simple black choker. I imagine this with a pair of Dr. Marten combat boots and not much else.
- Next a lavender nightgown inspider little diddy for the fem rocker gal. Love the statement signature hat for added dramatic effect.
- The last one is a bit too nice and pretty. Maybe go all out and add some over-the-knee boots.
Hat It Up
Hats ! More from one of our favorite sites Dolls Kill. You may need some extra shade so why not toss on a hat. If you're at your outdoor music festival it will be your godsend or you will just look really chic on your out and abouts. It is a great way to change up and shake up your fashion. We loves these festival rocker hats the floppy wide brim and all. A beanie is my go to for a bad hair day or a lazy day of I partied too hard the night before and just can not be bothered.
- Since we are going with the why so serious theme here with hats for the most part why not impose your current mood to the rest of the world. Just project how you are feeling with some embroidery or stitching. Nothing explains your day better than Die, Kill, or a smiley face right on your forehead.
- Hats are made out of all types of materials, with a suede material hat being a standout choice. Colors galore and a nice floppy brim to accentuate your thoughts about style.
- We love this one called lavender fields. You guessed it it is the lavender one at the end what a hot little number pair it with a choker like the babe in the picture and ooo baby you are ready to roll. Have fun hats are a playful accessory, do not ever take it more serious than intended.
The denim jacket you either love them or hate them but they did serve their time in history and are always a hotly debated fashion item. We found some moto cut ones that may just do the trick and add a little life into a horrible trend when done wrong. And unfortunately when it comes to these timepieces it is far easier to get wrong than right. Come fall toss on a tee a plaid and then a denim jacket pair with some leather faux leggings and booties and you're good to go and brave the chilly air. Especially if they have that weird not quite fur lining up the collar.
- This first one we adore with the acid wash on it paired with the moto cut it gives it a great style.
- Next up a cute Studded Denim Moto with an amazing wash giving it a much newer and fresher feel.
- This grey on we found on Nasty Gal by The Laundry Room has a great fun white wording on the back The Good Times it is cute different and fun.
- Lastly a little more sophisticated shape and wash a dark indigo Denim Collarless Moto Jacket from Zappos it exudes chic and timeless style add some studs and spikes to this one for some edge 🙂
The best part about these jackets is all of the customizing you can do with them. Adding little pins of your favorite bands give you that look like you did not just walk out of the store with it on. Add your own idea's and just keep it fresh. Borrow from the past but move toward the future always.
Want More Style Guides :
Well that was quite a long and informative piece was it not? We overshot our initial goal and had to add on a few extra categories and items going well over forty. Hopefully you gained some insight to some great new and revisited fashion trends. If this edge is not quite your thing check out our other style guides to find the pieces that can fit into your wardrobe arsenal.
- Unique Eye Catching Style for Men
- Boho Rocker Chic
- Hot Trendy Looks for 2016
- Keeping Care and Cleaning Your Fashion
Camo is so Rocker
What Do You Think ?
Did our rocker chic style inspire you? If you had to take something out or add something from your own collection what would it be ? With new and creative minds doing amazing things it is hard to keep up with all that is brand new out there, so if you are a designer or just a fan do not be afraid to share your own or others works ! Is there another topic or category you would like to see another ultimate list of? The lines are open.
How to Rock Camo Clothing
Camo has a been a part of fashion for a very long time. It was not until the end of the 70s that it became part of main stream fashion. Camo has like plaid became a fashion staple and never truly goes out of style well maybe the pink pink camo and and non traditional color ones do thankfully so, but not the basic traditional subtle green tone ones. Now I am personally very picky about my camos it can tote the line of trashy not classy real fast.
The camo Tee Shirt Dress from Charlotte Russ now I love this one because of the color this is my favorite camo coloring tone its subtle and can go with a loot. Pair this with some combat boots, knee highs or chucks then toss on a leather jacket or denim jacket and roll out. Put up your hair in a messy bun and add something spiked somewhere. Bam your done
Next up the camo jean, these Hudson brand high rise camo jeans are awesome the perfect camo color pallet and so easy to rock. Pair these with some high heels for a night out or a cute black little ankle bootie. Toss on a white or black tee shirt or tank and then top off with a black leather moto biker jacket. You can add a fun rocker clutch or a spiked out leather purse to really set your outfit apart and rocker it up.
The camo jacket from Fasion Nova, love this piece pair with skinny jeans or flares a rocker band tee and go. It easy as one two three oh how rocker can you be.